Thursday, October 23, 2008

.marié digby.

Marié Digby (first name pronounced Ma-re-AY) earned her first major-label record deal when she won the Pantene Pro-Voice Music Competition in 2004. She is a very talented Singer-Songwriter, Guitarist, and Pianist who is part Irish and part Japanese. She is best known for her acoustic cover version of Rihanna's No. 1 hit "Umbrella", which attracted attention on YouTube in 2007. Soon after, her song played on the radio airwaves and was featured on the third season opening episode of the MTV show The Hills. After recording her first album and waiting for it to release (while music execs figured out all the details), she decided to take matters into her own hands. She asked her record label for an Apple laptop and the professional video editing software “Final Cut Pro” with the intention of making her own music videos. In the end, all she got was the laptop.

So, Marié just set the computer on her coffee table, turned on the built-in camera, and recorded herself playing. Since then, she continues to post video clips of herself singing covers of various chart topping songs which has increased her popularity. In an interview this year, she explains
“I was trying to do a good mix of originals and cover tunes. The whole point of doing cover tunes was I wanted new traffic coming to my site. I wanted people who had never heard of me to give me a shot and listen to me sing and see if they liked me or not. So I was trying to pick songs that were on the pop charts and were just beginning to climb the charts so that people were already putting these songs titles into a search.”

The strategy worked. She is currently the eighth most subscribed-to artist on YouTube—wow!

My favorite songs by Marié Digby are “Miss Invisible”, “Voice on the Radio”, and “Beauty in the Walking” which can all be heard on her album titled
Unfold. So, with that; I'd like to share with you one of her newest video cover tunes ("My Life" by The Game + Lil Wayne) which I happen to love. Her voice is so pretty and so is she. I hope you can appreciate it as I do.




Music & Love,
-C

No comments: