Thursday, September 4, 2008

.one four three seattle.

I just got back from a trip to Seattle. It was my very first visit to Washington. I’ll have to admit I was looking forward to it since most people who’ve visited say how great it is. On a side note, I’m a Grey’s Anatomy fan and I thought Sleepless in Seattle was cute so, it made it even more appealing. I know, I’m silly. :) Anyway, when I flew into Seattle I noticed the beauty of the area right away. As my plane descended towards the Seattle Airport, I was able to see all of the plush greenery that surrounded the region. It is very different than most places. Because I was there for work, I didn’t have too much time to check out all of the sights. I was however able to wake up very early a couple of mornings to check out some places of interest. From what I was able to experience, here are my top 3 highlights from my visit to Seattle (with photos I took included):

#1) the Original Starbucks (est. 1971)

I was SO very excited to hear that the very first Starbucks was within walking distance of my hotel. I knew I had to stop off at this vintage spot. When I arrived at the shop, I was surprised at how small and low key it was. There were no tables or chairs to sit down. I noticed frequent camera flashes from tourists taking photos outside (sometimes even inside). Despite this, it was very calm and relaxed inside. The shop really did have a lot of character. Everything was made of russet colored wood and looked a bit worn (in an artistic way). It was not new or remodeled by any means. It definitely had a nice “original” feel to it. I picked out a mug as a souvenir which had the original SB logo rather than the new (more conservative) green one. I also ordered my usual, a tall non-fat vanilla latte. I do have to tell you that my coffee tasted SO delicious. I don’t know if it was all mental or if they used a special type of brew or espresso machine—whatever it is, it was magical delight in a cup!


#2) Piroshky, Piroshky

By definition, “Piroshky” originates from the Russian word “pir” which means feast. My description of a Piroshky is simply carbs at its finest! This little bakery can be found a few doors down from the original Starbucks right in the marketplace. I tried the potato, onion, and cheese which was really good. It was the perfect breakfast pairing with my wonderful cup of OG Starbucks. :)




#3) the Pike Street Market

The marketplace was so neat. It was everything Seattle was all about. Aside from the original Starbucks; there were small quaint restaurants, produce stands, and small shops scattered throughout. A really awesome element of the market were the flower vendors. There must have been a dozen of them selling all kinds of beautiful and colorful flowers. Not only did they look so pretty, they were so inexpensive as well!



1 comment:

Unknown said...

you miss my wedding to go to the first starbucks? :p you better let me win this week to make up for it